Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Random Rambles

  • I think the Reds should let Arroyo & Harang go at the end of the season (assuming they can’t move them via trade). That should clear up about 20 million from the payroll. With that, they should DEFINATELY lock up Votto long-term and I think there's about 12 total, (give or take a couple), who will be arbitration-eligible. I like Arroyo as a solid #2 or #3 rotation guy, but for the salary he’ll be making and what we've got remaining to fill the rotation with, I think the Reds could use the money more than his arm. If they can keep the rest of the team fairly intact, we should be contending again next year, and if they upgrade at SS and CF, I’m thinking we’re a lock to win the division. If that does happen, I also think we can live with a rotation from 5 of the following: Cueto, Volquez, Leake, Wood, Bailey, Maloney, Chapman. I’d like to see Arroyo in there, but I really don’t think the Reds will raise the payroll high enough to make that happen.

  • I’m starting to think that Jay Bruce is going to wind up being one of those guys who had “star” and “unlimited potential” written all over him, but then never really live up to the expectations. This was the guy who at one time was rated the #1 prospect, hit for a .333 average and .374 OBP in AAA, but in almost 3 years at the MLB level has a career average of only .247 and a .316 OBP. Last year everyone was hoping for a breakout season, as they were/are this season, and as I fear they may be next year…etc…etc…

  • Dusty is a pretty good manager, and in fact, I think he’s done a pretty good job for the Reds so far, but he has a few tendencies that drive me crazy. A couple, in particular, are that he focuses on one or two guys and no matter how badly they perform, he’ll stick with them, to the detriment of the team, (ala Corey Patterson ‘08, Willie Taveras ‘09, and this year Orlando Cabrera). The other thing is that he seems to equate someone having speed as someone who should be hitting leadoff or #2. What good is a guy who can steal bases batting at the top of the order if they can’t hit .250 or can’t produce an OBP much above .300.

  • I’m really kind of excited to see what catching prospect, and former Reds top draft pick out of high school, Devin Mesoraco is doing offensively this year. His combined numbers from high-A and AA this year: .319 AVG – 20 HR – 53 RBI - .387 OBP

No comments:

Post a Comment